Katanning

This town is located 295km SE of perth on the Gt.Southern Highway and is the centre for one of the largest grain and sheep areas in the State.The Memorial is on the corner of Carew and Cliff Streets in Prosser Park and includes a WW1 German Krupps field gun which has arabic writing on the breech,presumably this gun was captured from the Turks. On the base stone at the front of the memorial is a brass plaque recording the fact the Memorial was unveiled by General A.J.Bessel Brown* . The die stone has brass plaques on all four sides,the rear,L/H and R/H side plates contain 264 names,the plate on the front face is of different size and contains 31 names above this, on the column,a small plaque reads "Erected by the Katanning Sub-Branch RSL,unveiled by Colonel H.B.Collett CMG. DSO. MC. 28th Battalion AIF 14th.November,1920 " (presumably this plate records those killed in action and the unveiling notice refers to it and not the Memorial as a whole. further up is a replica of the Victoria Cross above which is inscribed "To our glorious dead,1914 to 1918"a stone wreath is above this. The RSL also maintains a small rose garden in the town centre

* see Kings Park/Boer War Memorial

BACK / NEXT / HOME