DONGARA

Dongara is 359km.North of Perth and is the centre for a large agricultural area concerned with wheat,sheep and cattle plus commercial fishing from nearby Port Denison, the population is 1680. The Memorial, paid for by Francis Pearse*,was erected in 1922 in the Dongara Cemetery. In 1938 it was moved to it's present location "Memorial Park' on the corner of Moreton Terrace and Leander Drive,a parcel of land donated by the then Chairman of the Dongara Roads Board, Thomas Clarkson.

* Francis Pearse was a local land holder and merchant of the area,extremely wealthy he was a member of the Irwin Roads Board and an elder of the Wesley Church. In 1894 he built the 'The Royal Steam Roller Flour Mill' in Dongara which milled the produce of local Farmers until it closed in 1934. Later in life he moved to Fremantle where his house there is now on the National Heritage List as his house in Dongara, Pearse House in Hunts Rd. ( information courtesy Irwin Historical society www.wn.com.au/idhs )

BACK / NEXT / HOME